Re: ???current directory in prompt in bash???

	Subject: Re: ???current directory in prompt in bash???
	Date: Tue, Dec 08, 1998 at 11:29:18AM -0500

Quoting Wayne Topa(wtopa@ix.netcom.com):

> 	Subject: ???current directory in prompt in bash???
> 	Date: Tue, Dec 08, 1998 at 08:38:00AM +0000

> Quoting debian-user-request@lists.debian.org(debian-user-request@lists.debian.org):
> >
> > Is there a way to have bash include the current directory in the
> > prompt of bash? Actually, let me re-phrase that.... my "root" account
> > DOES include the current directory in the the prompt, but I have no
> > idea why or how... I've tried to copy my root's .bash_profile to my
> > "regular-user's" .bash_profile, but it still doesn't work.... any
> > ideas?
> >
> > Thanks in advance....
> >
> > Rich
> >

> See 'man bash' for all the gory details.  Here is my prompt which is
> set in .bash_profile.
>
> # for normal everyday use use this prompt string
> V_TERM=`tty`
> export PS1="\[`setterm -foreground green`\]VT${V_TERM##/dev/tty} \u-Slink:\w#"
>

> The sequence \u-Slink:\w#    gives me  VT2 root-Slink:~#  as the
> prompt.
>

> I seem to recall that doing it this way violates Debian Policy or some
> such thing.  So Beware of the Policy police.

Woops, sorry. Just recalled that I had been told by the SUSE policy
police that this was the wrong way to do it, NOT Debian.

That was reason #45 for dropping SUSE in favor of Debian.  Sorry for
the brain drain.

--
Unquestionably, there is progress.  The average American now pays out
twice as much in taxes as he formerly got in wages.