Re: PPP and kernel 2.0.36

john@dhh.gt.org wrote:

> Paul Miller writes:
> > Upon attempting to run pppd I get the following:
>
> > This system lacks kernel support for PPP.
>
> This is one of pppd's favorite error messages, and it is almost always
> wrong.  There are several possible problems that can mislead pppd into
> saying this.
>
> > Any thoughts on this one?
>
> How did you set up ppp?  Did you run pppconfig?  If not, do so.  If so,
> send me copies of your /etc/chatscripts/provider and
> /etc/ppp/peers/provider files (with passwords removed) and the output of
> 'plog' and I will try to help you.

Don't I feel like a dunce. Upon inspecting the output of 'plog' like
John asked for, I noticed the error message that pppd could not open
/dev/modem. Now because this machine I am making the kernel image for
has no user interaction (keyboard controller chip busted), I left out
serial device support. So after kicking myself all morning, I compiled
in serial support for the modem, and all is fine.

*sigh*

Thanx for the help John.

--
Paul Miller