Why is lpd making this dns query?

Hello!

I have set up a print server and a print client with magicfilter and everything
would be fine, were it not for lpd on the server side making a dns query (and
waiting a long timeout) for every remote connection.

My system is not always connecting to the internet, and a query for a host not
in local network results in a timeout looking for forwarders, so I looked if in
/etc/hosts.lpd there were host names that required forwarding to resolve. No,
they are all local, and the client box is both local and in /etc/hosts.lpd.

So I configured the DNS to log incoming queries, and I fond this:

Dec  8 14:08:37 eddie named[549]: XX /127.0.0.1/./A
Dec  8 14:08:55 eddie last message repeated 5 times

So why is lpd so insistently looking for a '.' dot?

As a temporary solution I've set the dns to avoid recursion when not on line
through a couple /etc/ppp/ip-{up|down}.d scripts that change a symbolic link to
two different /etc/named.conf.

The question is: what is lpd looking for?

				Ciao! Enrico

--
PGP key available on finger -l zinie@cs.unibo.it