Re: -- MARK --

On 7 Dec 98 19:29:52 GMT, wegner@ldv35.uni-trier.de (Armin Wegner)
wrote:

>Every twenty minutes my xconsole writes a string consisting of date and time,
>my hostname and the string "-- MARK --". What does this mean? This is new and
>I can't remember when it first happened and what it caused to do so.

This is a used as a method of checking that the machine hasn't fallen
over in some nasty way.  You get a message every twenty minutes which
is telling you that the system is up and running.  The time between
marks is configurable, or the whole thing can be turned off, but I'll
be a monkey's uncle if I can remember it.

Can someone else remember which package controls this?

Rob Wilderspin
--
"But I need it to crash once every few days -
reboots are the only chance I get to sleep..."