reposting isdn question

Running Debian 2.0.34 and am having connection quality troubles using a
64K or 128K ISDN. I am in Europe and the dial-up server is in the US.  I

am running an external TA through the serial port.  The connection
establishes in about 5 seconds and I can pass traffic but at a slow rate

(slower than a 28.8 connection). Ping works but consistantly looses
every other reply. Very strange.  Same results with a 128K conection as
with a 64K connection.

Can anyone offer any advice as to what to look for?  I have lots of
experience with PPP and analog modems on POTs but not ISDN.  Is there
anything different about a european ISDN connection as compared to a US
ISDN line?  If there is, what do you have to do to get a hybrid
(different on each end) to work?

TIA,

L  Baker