Seagate DAT drive

I have just installed a Seagate STD28000N (aka ARCHIVE Python
04687-XXX Rev: 6580 according to dmesg).

I only had 90m tapes to hand and wanted to try it out, tar cvf on a
handful of files claimed to work but nothing else did generally
returning error messages about sequential position.

I am off to get some 120m tapes and have been through the man
pages etc. for dds2tar, dds2index etc. but feel a bit out of my depth
here.  Is there a really simple idiots' guide to using DDS/DAT tape
drives, something like the wonderfully clear HOWTO for jaztool?

TIA

Chris