Not that simple (was Re: ICQ over IP Masquerading)

> [long boring :) text removed]

You need to study a bit more into the subject to back yourself up before
laughing at other people.

> ICQ worked out of the box for me. I just did:
> /sbin/ipfwadm -F -a masquerade -P all -D0.0.0.0/0 -S192.168.99.0/24

Of course you can make icq connect to icq server and show yourself as
online without any additional configuration. *BUT*, when others try to
send you message, they have to send it through server, and that is about
all they can do about you. Let them try to initialize a chat with you.
Let them try to send a file to you. Let them try to initialize a
internet phone application with you. I'm quite positive they will *NOT*
work. In other words, anything that requires direct host connection will
*NOT* work. With my configuration, it will work.

The only situation where my configuration will not work is when both
machines are behind the same firewall, which could be what Hamish
pointed out early in this thread. When I did that, I found weird entries
in the masq table. I haven't tried machines behind different firewalls.

Next I'll try socks 5 when I have time.

--
Guoqiang Dai
gqdai@home.com