Problems building kernel for sound: dmabuf.c not compiling

I'm trying to build the kernel (2.0.34) with sound support.  I've
turned it on in the 'make config' step, and build happily until I get
this error message:

>drivers/sound/sound.a(dev_table.o): In function `sound_install_audiodrv':
>dev_table.o(.text+0x9fe): undefined reference to `DMAbuf_init'
>dev_table.o(.text+0xa03): undefined reference to `audio_init'
>make: *** [vmlinux] Error 1

The routines DMAbuf_init and audio_init live in the files dmabuf.c and
audio.c, respectively.  As far as I can tell, neither is being
included in the build by the config script.  They don't get compiled,
even after a 'make clean'; and in fact I can 'touch' them and they
still don't compile.  Manually compiling and 'ar'ing dmabuf.c got rid
of the first problem error message, but I can't get rid of the second.

Besides, there must be something more serious wrong.  Any ideas?

I have been trying to add sound support for at least a year now, on several
machines running bo and hamm.  All fail in the same way.

Thanks,

--Eric House