Re: dselect question

On Sat, 5 Dec 1998 WuArMy490@aol.com wrote:

> In the access part I selected Harddrive and I put in the directory where I put
> the packages.gz file
>
> it said it found it but then after I selected the packages I wanted it gave me
> a ton of errors

When you say you "put the packages.gz file" this indicates that you've
gotten the file from a CD or from an FTP site, etc. The location of the
.deb packages is relative to the location of the packages.gz file, so if
you've copied/moved this file, you'll need to point dselect to where the
packages.gz file came from (or close thereby; I'm not sure of the exact
relationship).

The packages.gz file is merely a "table of contents" for the many .deb
packages. Pointing dselect to a packages.gz file won't do you much good
unless you can also get to the actual .deb packages.

Let's make this easier; what tools do you have? Do you have a Debian CD,
or do you have network access?

If you have network access, probably the easiest way to install is to tell
dselect to use the ftp method. It'll ask for a site to connect to;
although ftp.debian.org is pretty busy, it's the one I always choose,
simply because as a relative beginner myself I take the smooth road; also
since I'm in the US, it seems to be the closest site to me that I know of.
Then it'll ask about the path; mine is simply:
  debian
I answer the next couple of questions as stable; then main, contrib, and
non-free. Then I'd do an Update, then go into Select and mark the packages
I want to install, then Install, then Quit.

If you don't have network access but you have a CD, you do a similar sort
of thing, but you tell it to use the CD access; I've only tried this once
and, being a newbie, didn't have a whole lot of success, but I'm sure if
you have a CD and you reply to the list instead of just to me you'll get
someone's help who knows what they're doing on this issue.

If you don't have either, you're getting into territory I'm not at all
familiar with. But just as you can't install Netscape on a Win95 box if
you don't have access to the Netscape installer via network or CD, or etc,
you can't install Debian packages unless you have access to those packages
via network or CD or etc. As I said, just having the packages.gz file only
gives you the listing of available packages; it doesn't actually give you
the packages.

So let us know what kind of tools you have (network access, Debian CD,
etc), and we'll go from there.

 --
Kent West
kent.west@infotech.acu.edu