Re: xanim problem...

On: Thu, 03 Dec 1998 22:39:16 -0600 Evan Van Dyke writes:

> I just installed the xanim .deb, but it is unable to play any audio
> files...
> Or, atleast is unable to produce any actual sound.  I do know that
> the sound driver is compiled into the kernel and it works, so I'm
> guessing that the problem is in xanim.  Does anyone have an idea
> what I might do to fix this?

Dou you have nas (Network Audio System) installed?  The older versions
blocks /dev/dsp for other applications.  In this case you should get a
error message from xanim telling that it is unable to open /dev/dsp.

Otherwise, make sure that audio works correctly, e.g., try cat
something.au > /dev/audio.  If it work, you might strace xanim and
look for lines where it is accessing /dev/dsp, /dev/mixer and
ioctrl/read/writing these devices.

	Torsten

BTW: I have nas 1.2p5-7 installed which no longer blocks /dev/dsp
forever and xanim plays sound files without any problems.