Security & Satan woes

Hello all!
        I notice that when im working late in the night and have roottail
running on /var/log/syslog or when im just reading thru log files I see tonnes
of incoming telnet attempts on weird ports!!!
        How worried should I be? I have disabled all un-necessary services in
inetd and I have made rules in /etc/hosts.ALLOW to only allow access from
domains I know are supposed to be connecting. Is there anything else I should
do?

        Also; I tried to install the SATAN program i heard mentioned to see if
it found any problems with my system. But it wont compile! :(
I got satan-1.1.1.linux.fixed2.tgz from sunsite,
did ./reconfig, which complained about mail, ypcat, showmount and ypwhich, but
didnt abort... then "make linux" which was going fine but then started spitting
out warnings like:
/usr/include/linux/socket.h:38: warning: `SCM_RIGHTS' redefined
/usr/include/socketbits.h:216: warning: this is the location of the previous
definition............

and finally died with:
In file included from ../../include/netinet/tcp.h:24,
                 from tcp_scan.c:17:
/usr/include/linux/socket.h:9: redefinition of `struct sockaddr'
/usr/include/linux/socket.h:14: redefinition of `struct linger'
/usr/include/linux/socket.h:26: redefinition of `struct msghdr'
make[2]: *** [tcp_scan.o] Error 1

Any ideas on getting this to compile?
Thanks!
Timothy