Re: Linux newbie needs help

Hello,

> Just successfully installed my first linux box with no problems. Now I want
> to install KDE.

If you are using Debian, you need to install it the Debian Way...

Most of KDE is in the contrib, X11, extra section. If you select it with
dselect or apt, it'll automatically download whatever else you need (Qt
library, JPEG library, etc). So you shouldn't need to worry about it.

If you are doing it manually with dpkg, it'll tell you what's missing and you
have to go get it yourself before it'll let you go on.

> In the KDE install guide, it says that I need the Qt library.

The Qt library is in the qt1g package (non-free, libraries, optional). If you
install via dselect or apt, you don't need to worry about it.

> I downloaded Qt, untar-ed it. When I type ./configure (like
> it says to do in INSTALL) it says:
> Uh, help. Where can I get a C-Compiler?

It's called gcc, and Debian has it in the main, devel, standard section.
However, you don't need it for installing packages from Debian, because
they're all available pre-compiled.

> One more thing. Are there any free POP3 clients for Linux?

Yes.

In Unix the mail system is standardized, so you'll need several parts: a POP
fetcher (such as "fetchmail"), a user program (such as "mutt" or "elm" or
"pine" or whatever) and a program for general mail delivery, such as "exim".

All these are available within Debian.

The setup is like this:

                               outside world
                                  |      ^