Re: Understanding /root Re: My solution

Hello,

> >	I decided to partition my hard disk into:
> >		/boot	50MB
> >		/home	50MB (maybe more)
> >		/root	50MB
> >		/var	150MB (maybe more)
> >		/usr	700MB
> >		/etc	50MB
> >		/swap	128MB
> >		/dos	200MB
> >		/tmp	50MB
> >		---------------------
> >		Sum.	1428MB	-> rest: 270MB for ???
> >
> >Would this be a good idea? Any criticism welcome!!!

Probably better to design it by starting out with everything in one big
partition ("/") and saying *why* you want things separate for each one.

As others have pointed out, having many partitions wastes space, because you
need to leave a bit to spare in each one separately. Perhaps more importantly,
it'll end up making things *messy* rather than organized, because when you run
out of space on one of them (and you will), you'll start putting things where
they don't belong, soft-linking them all over the place.

On my disk, the only thing I have separate is the swap partition.

That said, here's the things you might reasonably want to make separate:

Most likely:
  swap space - much more efficient
  /boot - if your disk is over 1023 cylinders and you boot with LILO

Maybe:
  /tmp, /var, /home - try & stop runaway processes (either 3 partitions or 1)
  /usr - to be mounted read-only

Probably not:
  /etc - some of the files are needed during boot
  /bin, /sbin, /lib - programs needed for boot and minimal admin
  /root - too small to worry about

You can, of course, divide it finer - eg have a partition for /var/spool to
guard against mailbombs, but leave the rest of /var on the root partition.

> Usually, when you see a system with a bunch of mount points, it's because
> there's more than one disk.  Using 4 2GB drives is better than one 8GB
> drive because:
>
> 	1.  if one drive goes down, you only lose the data on that one drive,
> 	not the other 3.

> 	2.  there are 4 I/O paths for data (i.e. you can read from more than
> 	one disk simultaneously) which reduces I/O wait times and speeds up
> 	the system.

And a couple of others:

	3. cheaper

	4. you can do RAID if you like