Re: serial terminal hangs at login prompt

On Fri, 4 Dec 1998, David Karlin wrote:

> Hello,
> I've tried connecting two different terminals to the serial port on my
> hamm box.  One was an old pc with terminal emulator software, the other
> is a genuine Digital VT100.  Both hang at the login prompt.
>
> I ran 'getty -L ttyS0 9600 vt100' most recently for the VT100.  I got
> the login prompt, but when I typed my username, there was no response
> on the screen.  I have also setup /etc/inittab to run getty and do get
> the login prompt on the VT100 when the hamm box boots.

Okay, check `ps ax` when you have typed in your username and pressed
enter. I sometimes had this problem, and it was the cable I was using.
I get this:

  204  S1 S    0:00 /bin/login -- <user>

> When I did 'man getty' I got the man page for 'agetty'.  It indicated
> that the '-L' switch should be used if the terminal hangs at the login
> prompt.  I did 'find / -name "agetty*"' and no files were found.  I
> looked up both getty and agetty in 'Linux in a Nutshell' and found
> that '-L' only works for agetty and not getty.  I searched
> /stable/main/packages for 'agetty' and couldn't find it.

my options in /etc/inittab are so:

T1:2345:respawn:/sbin/getty -L -w ttyS1 19200 vt220

(the -w tells it to wait for a CR before sending the login prompt - handy
for when the terminal is off when my box boots.)

Try it with vt220. I use it because it supports all the function keys, and
<home>,<end>... etc

> Q1:  Where can I find 'agetty'?

I think mgetty IS agetty.

> Q2:  Is it possible my manpage and executable are mis-matched?

Have no idea. the options within the man page work for me, and I have
mgetty too. (with the agetty man page)

> Q3:  Is there something that I'm overlooking in trying to connect
>      a serial terminal?

Check the settings within the terminal. specifically if you are using a
direct or null modem cable.

                       Michael Beattie (mickyb@es.co.nz)

     WinErr: 003 Dynamic linking error - Your mistake is now in every file