Re: How to use a ramdisk?

> > How do I use ramdisks once they're created?  Just copy my files to the
> > disk and symlink to them from where they're expected to be?  What do I
> > do to ensure that the files are written to (real) disk on shutdown or
> > at predefined intervals?

> Just like any other mounted filesystem. They are never written to
> disk. That's why they call them "ram" disks. If you want a disk that
> actually has physical media, why don't you use a real disk? If you're
> thinking to create a ram disk for performance, don't. Linux
> agressively uses memory as buffer cache already, so you won't get
> better performance this way.

So there's no point in using ramdisks at all for non-boot tasks?

I've read elsewhere that loading a compiler's include files, or
frequently referenced documentation, or an emulators's file system,
into a ramdisk would significantly improve performance.  That's
not true?

Thanks, BTW, (to you and others) for the quick responses.

--Eric House

PS /usr/src/linux/Documentation/ramdisk.txt does not talk about using
ramdisks in any context other than for creating boot floppies.  I guess
that's because they're pretty much useless otherwise?