Re: using apt to upgrade from 1.3 to 2.0

On Thu, Dec 03, 1998 at 12:55:09AM -0600, Carlo U. Segre wrote:

> I have a dozen or so debian boxes which I have been reluctant to upgrade
> up to now.  I read in the apt README that it can be used to do a major
> upgrade such as the 1.3 to 2.0.  I have been unsuccessful up to now but
> maybe it is just my ignorance.  The problems I am encountering are that
> the only version of apt that I can find 0.1.8 which requires libc6 in
> order to work at all.  This means that I need to use the autoup script
> before trying apt-get.  This is not what I understood from the README but
> maybe it is the only way.
>
> Any suggestions?

I think you can find apt for bo (1.3) at

http://www.debian.org/~jgg

There is also a bo version in the /install (I think) directory on the
Debian 2.0 CD I bought (long ago) from

http://www.netgod.net

I did the bo->hamm apt-get dist-upgrade to one machine recently and am
about to do it to more than 10 more, and it was pretty smooth.

You may run into problems if you have any ro nfs mounts that any of the
install scripts want to create directory entries on (kbd and perl both
mess with /usr/local/ BTW).

The other thing is that upgrading via autoup.sh leaves behind more
information if something goes wrong. But use script to make a typescript
of the whole bloody process and you should be fine.

Oh, one other thing. If the process fails because you need to go into
another vc and manually create a directory or something, just go back to
the original vc and restart apt-get dist-upgrade. It's very smart about
figuring out where it left off and proceeding forward smoothly.

It also _seems_ to be true that it doesn't do a complete upgrade. You'll
want to go into dselect after it's done (use the apt access method) and
finish things up.

And if you really need any of the libc5 *-dev packages you'll have
to re-install those (apt will toss them all at the beginning of the
upgrade).

Luck,
Pann
--
Pann McCuaig          pann@ssc.com       PO Box 55549, Seattle, WA 98155
Technical Manager                          Phone: (206) 782-7733 ext 122