Re: gcc 2.8.1

On Wed, Dec 02, 1998 at 04:39:33 -0500, wtopa@ix.netcom.com wrote:
> Quoting J.H.M. Dassen Ray"(jdassen@wi.leidenuniv.nl):
[regarding gcc 2.8.1]
> > Why? We have EGCS.
>
> Yep, and slink is screwed up because of it.

Congratulations on succeeding to raise my blood pressure.

The problems we have in slink currently are NOT caused by EGCS. They
resulted from libc6 being compiled with the maintainers local
/usr/local/bin/cc rather than /usr/bin/gcc. This introduced symbols in libc6
that shouldn't have been there. The problem cascaded into libraries compiled
on systems that had this broken libc installed. Two of these were
libstdc++2.8 and libstdc++2.9.

It's not a fault of mine or of the other EGCS maintainers that the libc6
maintainer choose to repair this problem in a way that broke just about
every system that tracked "frozen".

Ray
--
Tevens ben ik van mening dat Nederland overdekt dient te worden.