Re: Linux mirror on a second hd

At 12/2/98 04:31 PM -0500, Stephane Leclerc wrote:
>Hi Folks!
>
>I'm looking for a software utility to mirror my Linux hd on a second hd ?
>
>I've two 4.2 Go IDE HDs. The first one contain the linux root partition,
>a second partition for data and the swap partition. The second is free to
>use for backup.

If you want to run an active mirror (online and kept synced) you should
look into the kernel's MD feature.  You want to create a RAID 1 with those
two drives.  Check out:

http://www.linuxhq.com/HOWTO/Multi-Disk-HOWTO.html

You you simply want a drive to backup to, the standard cpio, afio, or tar
could get the job done.

--Jay Barbee