Re: Install issue

On Wed, 2 Dec 1998, Philippe Dal wrote:

> Hi, everybody..
>
> Here is a question for you. I'm rather new in LINUX (but not in UNIX),
> and I encountered a major issue trying to install it, in a multi-OS
> environment.
>
> My system is an AMD cpu with all needed to run well (!?)... I have a
> 8.6GB disk, on which I installed (using W95 FDISK):
>
> 	primary partition C	Fat16	502MB <-w95
> 	extended partition (rest of the disk)
> 		logical D	unknown 2GB
> 		logical E	unknown 2GB
> 		logical F	unknown 1.6GB
> 		logical G	unknown 2GB
> 		logical H	unknown 198MB
>
> the "unknown" are there simply because I did not yet format those
> logical drives (in a first attempt, they were formated, same problem was
> encountered). I could install previously NT in partition E, and use dual
> boot (W95/NT) without problem. I want to use partition G for Devian and
> H for swap.... All seems OK, until I use cfdisk, which gives me an error
> about a bad primary partition... escaping to a shell and using fdisk and
> p, it shows me a correct C (/dev/hda1) but some strange data for
> /dev/hda2. At one point in time, don't recall exactely what happened, if
> found the logical partitions, labeled /dev/hda[5-9].. but after that, my
> boot sector went to the drain and I had to reload the whole stuff....
>
> Any idea why the extended partition is not correctly decoded by cfdisk?
> I also tried to reduce the extended partition to leave free space for
> the 2 linux partition, but this did not work either!!!!! Kind of
> stuck!!!!
>
> Any hint welcome.

A hint is all this will be, because I don't know what I'm talking about.
However, here it is. It seems to me that you've the unknown partitions
have been partitioned(?) as extended logical (unknown) partitions.
Instead, I think you should delete those partitions, so instead of being
"unknown" they'll be "free space". Then you can use cfdisk.

Alternatively, in case what I said really is non-informed mumbu-jumbo, you
might try Linux's fdisk instead of cfdisk; does the same thing, but has an
older-style interface. I understand that sometimes if one doesn't work,
the other one might.

--
Kent West
kent.west@infotech.acu.edu