Re: writing a letter in LaTeX

On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Peter S Galbraith wrote:
> > I tried using Lyx to write a letter and, in the end, had to resort to
> > Star Office 5 because of an apparent bug in LaTeX.  The Lyx output
> > looked fine, but LaTeX did not include either the 'from' or 'to'
> > addresses in the output DVI file.
>
> Try adding the \opening{} command like so:
>
> \documentclass{letter}
> \begin{document}
> \address{John Jones\\ 123 A St.\\ Anytown, AW AB3 4AA}
> \begin{letter}{Mr. Joe Smith\\ 2345 Princess St.\\ Edinburgh, EH1 1AA}
> \opening{Dear Sir,}
>    Each letter is a `letter' environment, whose argument is the name
> and address of the recipient.  For example, you might have:
> \end{letter}
> \end{document}

I added the appropriate section in Lyx and it worked.  Any ideas why Latex
acts this way?  For example, reading the documentation, it's plain why
Latex treats your letter as personal if you include an \address section
and otherwise assumes some sort of letterhead.  It's not clear to me why
the lack of an \opening section makes the specified addresses irrelevant.

Thanks!

---
Roy Bixler
The University of Chicago Press