Re: Help needed with compressed files

On Tue, 1 Dec 1998, Austanners Wet Blue Pty Ltd wrote:

> I wish to load some package files onto a laptop that has no CD-ROM drive
> and is not networked. Some of the .deb files are 2+MB and I can compress
> them using PKZIP,Winzip or rar but can linux unzip from spanned floppy
> disks? Any suggestions?

Steve,

These ideas might be a bit slow, but on the other hand ...

Try connecting a couple of systems using a serial file xfer package such
as Kermit (ckermit) or network them via. either the parrallel port or via.
serial ports.

I'm no expert on this, so I won't even begin to try and tell you how to go
about it - perhaps you have enough info already in your /usr/doc directory
or perhaps someone else listening in would like to guide you.

If you want to try floppies, you might be able to "tar" the files across
several floppies. I've never tried this with Linux, but it used to work
fine when I was using QNX a lot.

Regards,

David McDonald			telephone: +61-2-9554-0346 (direct)
Systems Support Analyst			   +61-2-9554-0000 (switch)
Security Mailing Services		   04-1237-2284	   (mobile)
6 The Crescent			facsimile: +61-2-9554-0554
P.O. Box 86			email:	   davemac@secmail.com.au
KINGSGROVE  NSW  2208
AUSTRALIA