HELP! 2.0 (hamm) base install impass

Hi,

I have installed 5 1.4MB base floppies without any problem. Then I have
browsed the dselect to familiarize myself with it, and quit it and went
to bad happy.

This was three nights ago.

Since then I am trying to continue from where I left to connect to a
mirror site and finish up my installation.

I have two formidable blocks:

   * Although the base install was promised to contain "networking" I
     cannot see the "pppd", "chat" etc in there.
   * I cannot start dselect. I cannot even find an executable called
     "dselect" (or "dpkg" for that matter) neither in the environment
     booted off the floppy, nor in the hard-disk system that I
     installed. Yet I am sure they must be there, as I have been dropped
     into "dselect" once.

Since I don't have the latter, I cannot install the former. And since I
don't have the former, I cannot download and experiment with various
pieces fast enough to get out of this bind.

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance...