includes?

I am pretty sure that I have seen this discussed in the past, but I can't
seem to find it in the mailing list archives.

What is the deal with the include directories?  My specific problem is
that I am trying to install the 2.0.36 kernel, with a Pentium performance
counter patch from the Beowulf project.  Now I made the patch, and used
make-kpkg to build the kernel-headers and installed that.

The perf patches have an additional header file, which did appear in the
/usr/src/linux sym linked directory which was installed from the header
package that I just created.

But when I try to build the perf patch library, it can't find that header
file!  And then I realized that /usr/include has no links to
/usr/src/linux.  So what is the point in installing header packages?

What am I missing?  How are these header files supposed to be accessed by
users at compile time?

(Please CC to me directly, I'm not on the list any more; mail server
problems.)

Christopher J. Morrone                                (302)831-1257
Computer Architecture and Parallel               Fax: (302)831-0752
Systems Laboratory, University of Delaware   morrone@capsl.udel.edu