XF86Config help needed

I am trying to do a new install on a Hitachi M-Series laptop. I have
the base installation loaded, but can't get the X server to run.

Hitatchi says the V Freq for all resolutions is 60 Hz, and provides no
additional information. The card is a Cirrus CL-GD7543, which is
detected as having dotclocks of 40 at a depth of 8. There is 1 Mb
VRAM.

When I go through XF86Setup after clicking Done and Okay, the text
screen (not the GUI text screen) blinks on and off, and Ctrl-Alt-Bsp
does nothing. When I use xf86config I get "Attempting to start
server... _X11 TransSocketUNIXConnect: Can't connect errno=111", and
then it goes to a black screen with two orange horizontal lines,
roughly at 1/3s of the screen. C-A-Bsp will terminate the X server.

Starting X > file 2>&1 gives a listing of ModeLines, all saying the
hsync is not large enough and the screen deleted, then says no screens
found. If I increase hsync (it sets it at 31.5-55 by default), the
screen for which I changed it isn't deleted, but it still won't start,
and still says no screens found.

I have been through the XF86HOWTO and the XFree86-Video-Timings-HOWTO,
but I feel that I'm missing some data from Hitachi (like Hsynch).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Rated-G Online -- The Pioneer in Filtered Internet Services!
Scott L. Thomas             711.Net               http://www.711.net
(704) 544-7071               Rated-G Online    http://www.rated-g.com