Virtual Console Messed Up When Switching From X

I'm sorry if a similar message has appeared before.  It seemed not to have
gone through.

I recently installed Debian 2.0 on my Pentium 233 MMX with 64 MB SDRAM, with
an S3d ViRGE/DX 375 VGA card with 4 MB DRAM and a Samsung SyncMaster 4Ne
monitor (though I don't think the monitor has anything to do with it).
I installed XFree86, running the SVGA server in S3 ViRGE mode, with no options,
at 1024x768 resolution, 24 bpp.  Sometimes when I switch from X to a virtual
console with Ctrl-Alt-Fn, the virtual console starts substituting some
characters for others.  This happens on all the virtual consoles, not just
the one I first switched to.  I have tried "tset" and "reset", to no effect.
The only solution is to reboot.  For example, the sentence "the quick brown
fox jumps over the lazy dog" looks like "$he !%ick b"o'n fo( j%m # o&e" $he
la*) dog".  They are all printable ASCII characters from the same font.  It
seems that the text-mode display of the video card is messed up.  Can
anyone help me?

ADVthanksANCE

Ruchira Datta
datta@math.berkeley.edu