An alternative to glint (reading rpm's)

>I made an interesting purchase just recently of Red >Hat
>5.1, thinking I would try it out and see if it was any
>better.  It had some advantages and disadvantages, but
>in the end I decided to come back to debian.

>The situation I am in now however, is that I have an
>applications CD (the third Cd in the set) from redhat
>5.1, but I have no idea what these applications are.  >I
>would like to try these out but want to know what is
>what.  Is there a way to see what these applications
>are, without re-installing redhat???

>I believe that redhat uses a program called glide to
>read this application CD, is there an equivalent for
>debian ??  or should I try installing glide (which I
>doubt would work as I would need to include other >parts
>of redhat)  ??

Install the alien package which includes RPM.  You can now use the
query command of rpm to get the descriptions of the packages on that
redhat cd.  You could also convert all the packages to .deb's and put
them in their own directory on your hd, and then examine them with
deselect.

Any one have comments on this...
Thanks