Re: Is it possible to scroll back and see bootup messages on console?

> On Thu, 26 Nov 1998, Stan Brown wrote:
>
> > 	In FreeBSD, you can hit the {Scroll Lock} button and scroll back on the
> > 	console using {Page Up and {Page Donw} keys.
> >
> > 	Is there anything similar in Debian?
> >

> Sure. Shift-PageUp and Shift-PageDown. At least, they work in xterms. I
> *think* I've used the feature in console, but I can't be sure.

Yes it does work in virtual consoles.  However, once X has started, the
vc tends to `forget' all the lines that scrolled off the screen.  I
don't know what to do about this.  As some people have mentioned, you
can get kernel boot messages with the dmesg command.  However, it
doesn't show everything.  In particular some error messages are not
there.  If you want to see all of the boot messages, your best bet is
not to start xdm at boot time, use exented vga (50+ lines on your
screen), and see how far you can scroll back.

HTH,
Eric

--
 E.L. Meijer (tgakem@chem.tue.nl)          | tel. office +31 40 2472189
 Eindhoven Univ. of Technology             | tel. lab.   +31 40 2475032