Re: How to customize fvwm entries ?

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, shaul wrote:

>> shaulk@netvision.net.il (shaul) writes:
>>
>> > My /etc/X11/fvwm2/menudefs.hook has the following entry for lyx:
>> >
>> > [23:36:37 shaul]$ grep lyx /etc/X11/fvwm2/menudefs.hook
>> > + "&lyx" Exec    /usr/X11R6/bin/lyx
>> > [23:38:51 shaul]
>> >
>> > I want to change it to
>> >
>> > 	+ "&lyx" Exec /usr/X11R6/bin/lyx -width 631 -height 461
>>
>> To change it for all users:
>>
>> $ su
>> Password:
>> # cp /usr/lib/menu/lyx /etc/menu/
>> # edit /etc/menu/lyx
>> 	[ Make the change. ]
>> # update-menus
>> # ^D
>> $
>>
>Thank you. How a user can set it for himself ? (It seems to me that menu
>offers a way to do it, only I couldn't understand how)

I experimented a bit with customizing .fvwm2 , and it seems the following
should work (it worked for xemacs package).

* first, find out which package lyx is installed in, e.g.
dpkg -S lyx | cut -f1 -d: | sort -u

should give you a pretty good clue.

let's assume, for the sake of example the package is called lyx-10-3
that's what I use from now on. If yours isn't called that, substitute
what the pacakge is really called on your system for lyx-10-3.

You just want to place a new entry in the same location in the menu, but
with a different command line, right?, so

mkdir ~/.menu # if you don't already have one
YOUR_FAVORITE_EDITOR ~/.menu/lyx-10-3 # note the name of the file is the
                                      # is the same as the name of the
                                      # package we determined in previous
				      # step

somethink like this should go in the ~/.menu/lyx-10-3
(I may have some unnecessary stuff in here, so if someone can correct me,
I'll be glad)

?package(lyx-10-3):\
command="/usr/X11R6/bin/lyx -width 631 -height 461" \
needs="X11"\
section="Apps/Editors"\
title="lyx"

,or maybe you don't want it placed under Apps/Editors, then you would
change the section also, you can make a new section, just by taking the
name at the end, e.g: section="Apps/Editors/My-Favorite" (don't know if
spaces are OK -- wouldn't hurt to try though), or section="Apps/WP" -- you
get the idea.

If you wanted it placed on the "root" applications menu, rather than in
one of the sections, the easiest way I found was to leave the file
.menu/lyx-10-3 empty, (e.g, just echo -n >~/.menu/lyx-10-3) and to make a
file ~/.fvwm2/main-menu.hook (if you want the entry placed after the
"main" entries but before the "Exit" option), or
~/.fvwm2/main-menu-pre.hook, if you want the entry placed at the top of
the root menu.  in eithe case, the line should be what the
/usr/doc/fvwm2/README.sysrc calls a "menu continuation line", e.g
something like

+ "+lyx"  Exec /usr/X11R6/bin/lyx -width 631 -height 461

At first I thought the configuration of fvwm2 was really inflexible, but
after reading the docs for menu and the /usr/doc/fvwm2/README.sysrc, I
start to realize how I can produce just the right mix of system-defined
settings and my own goodies.

--
Evgeny Roubinchtein, eroubinc@u.washington.edu
IBM: Ici Beaucoup Merde