Re: Strange finger information

On 26 Nov 1998, Martin Bialasinski wrote:

> >> "MCV" == M C Vernon <mcv21@cus.cam.ac.uk> writes:
>
> MCV> Which is not what I was asking. I was wondering how to deal with the "on
> MCV> since saturday", given he has no such process running.
>
> Most likely a corruption in utmp, wtmp or btmp (all located in
> /var/log).
>
> Is the output of last, lastb, w and who OK?

last still has the login
lastb says /var/log/btmp: No such file or directory
w is correct (i.e. doesn't say he's logged in)
who is incorrect.

The log files are in binary format, and I have no idea about how to sort
this out :(, so any assistance much appreaciated.

Thanks,

Matthew

--
Elen sila lumenn' omentielvo