Restricted group-writable directories

Hello all -

I recently have been running low on drive space in my home partition. I've
much free space on /usr, so I was considering moving my development to
/usr/local/src rather than ~/src. So I did this:

addgroup source
usermod -G source aaron
mkdir /usr/local/src
chmod 775 /usr/local/src
chgroup source /usr/local/src

permissions appear correct. However, user 'aaron' can't write to
/usr/local/src. Here is one discrepancy I discovered in this process:

[aaron@spire]
 ... ~$ > groups
aaron dip
[aaron@spire]
 ... ~$ > su
Password:

[root@spire]
  ... /home/aaron# > groups aaron
aaron : aaron dip source
[root@spire]
  ... /home/aaron# >

	Hmm. why is this happening? I'd love to be able to do this in a
secure way, rather than making /usr/local/src world-writable.

--
Aaron Van Couwenberghe  -- vanco@sonic.net

Debian GNU/Linux: finally, a distribution tailored for the administrator,
  not the cluebie. http://www.debian.org