Re: I am quite familiar with redhat, but I am wondering how different Debian is?

Edward Ing (ingal@home.com) wrote...
> Are the boot scripts different? In different locations?

Somewhat, yes.  Redhat has everything in /etc/rc.d/ and Debian puts
them directly in /etc.  eg RH's /etc/rc.d/init.d/ is Deb's
/etc/init.d/.  And Debian has no equivalent of /etc/rc.d/rc.local.
One of the VERY few things in which I vastly prefer Redhat.  IT's
neater and easier to use.

> Are directories in different places and named differently?

Some of them.   Of course the /home, /usr, /lib et. al are the same,
but other stuff like some of /etc (RH's /etc/httpd/conf/ becomes Deb's
/etc/apache/ for example) and logfile locations differ.

> Are people working on a standard linux.

Sorta.  The main stuff's specified in the FSSTND (sp?) and both
follow it, but little things like those above are different.  If
they were all the same, there'd be no reason to use one of the other.

As a previous RH user (swapped a few months ago) I generally prefer
debian, with the exception of the /etc/rc.d/ stuff mentioned above
and a few other niggles.  BUt RH's setup is easier, IMHO, so I  wouldn't
give it to a novice.

bekj

--
: --Hacker-Neophile-Eclectic-Geek-Grrl-Gay-Disabled-Boychick--
: gossamer@tertius.net.au  http://www.tertius.net.au/~gossamer/