Re: technical problems with kde and debian (loading of libs fail)

On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, Mikael Suomela wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've got following problem: when I try to launch kde it fails
> complaining about missing libraries. I've installed kde using .debs from
> ftp.kde.org and qt 1.41 from a .deb from ftp.funet.fi (a mirror of
> ftp.debian.org). Any kde users here who could illuminate the
> situation?
>
> Lots of thanks in advance,
> Mikael

Well, I'm not sure.  I am using KDE as installed from the packages in
Debian 2.0 (Hamm), and am having none of the trouble you mention.  The
stuff in hamm is older than what you are running off of ftp.kde.org so I
don't know if it has been reorganized in any way.

Its pretty clear from your error messages that a necessary library isn't
being found, so it probably isn't installed.  The 'libkdecore' and
'libkhtmlw' libraries are in the kdelibs0g and kdelibs0g-dev packages on
my system and there are some /usr/X11R6/lib/libkdecore.* and
/usr/X11R6/lib/libkhtmlw.* libs on my system.  Looks to me like you might
need those packages if you haven't gotten them already.  If you have those
packages then I'm not sure what you should do as the packages appear
broken, and might be considered broken anyway because the dependencies
don't appear right (you shouldn't be able to install an executable that
needs to dynamically link to a library and not make the library be
installed also).  The other alternative is to build the KDE stuff from the
sources, but this is certainly less appealing than using the binaries.

Hope this helps...