pkgsel

Hi

I installed Debian v2.0, and after the first re-boot I am asked for a
password for root.  Ok, no problem so far.  But, I discovered an
application which runs automatically after you have logged in for the first
time called PKGSEL.  This allows you to chose a basic initial installation.
However, this program/script cleverly deletes itself.  I did a reinstall,
so I could back the file/s up before PKGSEL completed running, and deleted
itself.

I thought this was an excellent way of making Debian easier to install.  I
have attempted to work through dselect, however my knowledge of dselect is
minimal, and I found dselect fairly laborious to use.  When you select a
package, it advises about dependancies, and then you need to choose those,
etc, etc.  I guess I just don't know how to drive it very well, even though
I have read the dselect.beginner.txt file.

Anyway, does anyone know anything about pkgsel (which is a perl script).  I
would like to investigate further to make Debian easy to install for my
friends, who I want to try Debian/GNU Linux.

thanks
Philip Jensen