window maker configuration

I'm new to Debian, formerly using SuSE and Red Hat, and am still trying
to find my way around. I downloaded a theme from themes.org for
WindowMaker but I'm having problems with the configuration. I don't have
a Pixmaps directory in the background menu selection, so I added one and
added a path to the theme background. I can select it and it works fine.
Close wm and restart, background is fine. Select one of the solid or
gradients, changes ok. Change to the theme background, fine. Close wm,
restart, and I get the solid or gradient. Not so fine.

Thanks for the help.

mike
--
"The best weapon of a dictatorship is secrecy,
 but the best weapon of a democracy should be the weapon of openness."

 Niels Bohr