Re: How to enable DPMS monitor poweroff?

Rick Macdonald <Rick_Macdonald@shaw.wave.ca> writes:

> The Hardware-HOWTO just says:
>
>   20.1.  VESA Power Savings Protocol (DPMS) monitors
>
>   Support for power savings is included in the Linux kernel. Just use
>   setterm to enable support.
>
> but setterm insists:
>
>   timshel:~$ setterm -powersave on
>   cannot (un)set powersave mode
>
> I can't find any more details anywhere. I have an ATI mach64 (Grpahics
> Pro Turbo) and a Viewsonic 17GS monitor. Kernel 2.0.32.

setterm is for modifying stuff on the linux console, not from X.
You're probably trying this from an xterm.

Inside X, use the 'xset' command, like this:
xset dpms
-or-
xset dpms 300 600 900

You might consider putting this command into /etc/X11/Xsession, after
the bit about xmodmap.

If you use xdm, you might consider putting this command into
/etc/X11/xdm/Xsetup_0 as well.

I also find 'xset dpms force standby' a nice command when I want to go
to sleep.  More info on the xset manpage.