Re: procmail....................

On Sat, Nov 21, 1998 at 04:57:43PM -0300, Phillip Neumann wrote:
> Promail is for filtering mails isnit?

Yes.

> It takes the /var/spool/mail/user file and prosess it??

It can do that, but I wouldn'r recommend it.  Procmail is better used
as part of the mail delivery process.  Which MTA (mail transfer agent)
are you using?  You probably have exim, smail, sendmail or qmail;
which is it?

> :0
> * ^TOdebian-user@lists.debian.org
> debian-english

As you are filtering to a mailbox, you /must/ use file locking; so,
put a colon after the 0 on the first line.  This is mandatory; you
will trash your mail if you don't use locking.

> :0
> * ^TOdebian-user-spanish@lists.debian.orgdebian-spanish
> debian-spanish

Same here.

> How do i make it work? First i run fetchmail to get the mails, and
> then when running `procmail' the xterm stops...

Procmail expects to see the mail message on stdin.  You'd do better by
putting procmail into the delivery process, so it will process the
messages automatically, but in order to tell you how it is done, I
must know a bit of your setup.  As I asked above: which MTA are you
using?

	Antti-Juhani
NOTE: I am migrating to a new setup.  There may still be problems with
my mail/news headers, so *please* trust the above addresses more than
the addresses in the headers.  I hope I'll get this working ASAP.