printing

sure this ranks as a newbie question so let me know if it is misplaced,

My printer hp deskjet portable has started to work using the default
printcap file.  (foolishly not saved as printcap.old)

After editing it as suggested in 't printing HOW-To to give carriage returns:

lp|dj|deskjet:\
   :sd=/var/spool/lpd/dj:\
   :mx#0:\
   :lp=/dev/lp0:\
   :if=/var/spool/lpd/DJ500/deskjet-filter
   :sh:
where deskjet-filter is properly chmoded in that directory,

I get:
lpd: Fatal error - Another print spooler is using TCP printer port possibly
lpd process '170'

can anyone remind me of the original printcap file (?) or suggest
some method of resolving this.
Many thanks

Angus Claydon,
After three weeks of debian I've got mc, lynx, ircII bsd-games
bc fetchmail elm+me*&^% ncftp all working properly X? forget it for now!