Re: sorting russian text

On: Thu, 19 Nov 1998 22:17:09 +0400 (AMT) Eugene Sevinian writes:

> Hi,
> As I am working now on a multilingual text proccesing system I tried
> to use 'sort' for this purpose. From "man bash" I have read that the
> LANG variabale is responsible for local language setting.  Assuming
> ru_RU is appropriate variable I set LANG=ru_RU; export LANG, but :((
> nothing had changed at all. Should I do something else?  Help me,
> please!

I have checked my sort command (version 1.22) for the value de_DE for
LANG and it didn't work either.

I checked the documentation for both sort and the fileutils and
couldn't find any mentioning of locale support.  So it seems to me
that it is simply not supported.

I tried it with perl and the following little sorting program:

  use locale;

  my @ARRAY;
  my $i;

  while(<>) {
    push @ARRAY, $_;
  }
  for $i (sort @ARRAY) {
    print $i;
  }

and it work perfectly (in my case treating ö like o).  At least perl
is aware of locales.

	Torsten