Re: Installation error.... AGAIN... *sheesh*

"Noah L. Meyerhans" <frodo@ccs.neu.edu> writes:
| On Thu, 19 Nov 1998, Amanda Shuler wrote:
|
| > I'm trying to install Debian 2.0.
| > I am at the point where it says to "Install operating system kernel and
| > modules."
| > It asks you what medium will be used to install the system.  I choose
| > cd-rom on /dev/hda.  It is just a normal Atapi drive.
|
| Are you sure it's /dev/hda?  That would be the C: drive on DOS/Win.  I
| only ask because it seems a bit unusual to put a cdrom there.

Unless Amanda's got an almost all SCSI system and the ATAPI CD is the
only thing on the IDE bus, otherwise /dev/hda seems odd to me too. I
have two IDE disks and the ATAPI CD, which is slaved to the second
disk on my secondary IDE channel and it's /dev/hdc.

The other thing to try, and it's been a LONG time since I've gone
through the installation process from scratch like this so someone
correct me if I'm wrong, is to shell out of the installation routine
and see if you can access the device manually, e.g.,

mount /dev/hda /mnt

or, possibly

mount -t iso9660 /dev/hda /mnt

and see what happens.