Re: SQL Database performance

See http://www.tcx.se/benchmark.html for some interesting benchmarks
comparing several common db systems including oracle, ms-sql, pgsql,
and others.

For a pretty comprehensive comparison of database system limitations
and capabilities, see http://www.tcx.se/crash-me-choose.htmy

I use MySQL for my work and am extremely happy with it. It is
extrememly reliable and extremely fast. It is significantly faster
than pgsql and in my experience, it is also much more reliable (I used
pgsql before I switched to MySQL). MySQL doesn't support some of
Oracle's features like transactions, views, etc, but since I don't
need them, I can benefit from the much smaller and faster MySQL
system.

MySQL has no problems dealing with large sets of data and large
BLOBS. I have one MySQL db that contains over 3.5GB of data. In that
db, two of the tables are over 1.5GB (they contain mostly TIFF
images). Performance is great even with those relatively large table
sizes.

-Kevin

--
 Kevin Cheek <kcheek@umich.edu>
 University of Michigan, Department of Internal Medicine