can't make Linux bootable

I have made it almost all the way through an installation, but I cannot
make Linux bootable from the hard disk.  The error message I get is
"/target/sbin/lilo: not found".  The file is, in fact, there, but I get
the same message even when I try to run lilo manually from the other
console.  In fact, I tried several other commands in /target/sbin, and I
always get 'not found'.  This looks like a permissions problem, but lilo
is world readable and executable.

I made a separate / partition and /usr partition, so the cylinder number
over 1023 shouldn't be a problem.  The hard drive only has 522 cylinders
anyway.

I made a boot floppy, but it gets stuck with this error:

Unable to change tty /dev/tty1: Illegal seek
login[n]: unable to change tty 'dev/tty1' for user 'root'

and, eventually,

INIT: Id "1" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes

Any clues?

Thanks,

Richard Hall
Network Services