Re: Non-SCSI ATAPI CD burner?

(Perhaps you should configure your mailer to mention your real name?)

Rex> Is it possible to use a non-SCSI CD recorder under hamm?  As far
Rex> as I can tell, everything assumes SCSI.  The CD-writing FAQ
Rex> mentions something about ATAPI drives circumventing the need for
Rex> generic SCSI devices, but cdwrite and cdrecord seem to demand
Rex> SCSI (if not generic SCSI).

I have a non SCSI CD writer, and it has worked fine for me, although I
don't use it heavily.

I thought I was going to need to upgrade cdrecord etc to newer
versions, but after downloading from slink, I found they were exactly
the same versions as in hamm.

I had to rebuild my kernel so that it provides IDE SCSI emulation. I
used kernel 2.0.35; I think you would have to patch the source if you
used 2.0.34. Once you have done that, you need to give an extra boot
parameter along the lines of
  hdc=ide-scsi
to get it to spring into life, but after that's done the CD writer
looks just like a scsi device, accessed through dev/scd0.

You probably want to look at:
 http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/cdrecord.html

and especially:
 http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cc/glone/employees/joerg.schilling/private/man/README/README.ATAPI