Re: How to manually install minimal system

Kent West <westk@heir.acu.edu> writes:

> What I want to do is basically have the same level of knowledge about the
> Linux boot process. The best way I know to do this is to do it manually.
> I've already fdisk'd and mkefs'd my hard drive (after booting off a
> floppy). Now I need to copy the Linux kernel to the hard drive in the
> proper place and see if I can boot off the hard drive (but can I use the
> floppy and tell it where to find the kernel?.

[snip]

For the *bare minimum*, I think you would need to set up the following
files:

/bin/sh              = /bin/sash from sash package
/vmlinuz             = kernel with all your devices compiled in

A small /etc/passwd and /etc/group would probably help, but are not
essential.

You can use lilo on another partition to make that /vmlinuz bootable,
you could use a boot loader that reads ext2, or you could make a small
FAT partition and use a boot loader (like syslinux?) that reads FAT.
To start with, `dd' the kernel to a floppy and use `rdev' to point it
at your hard drive.

You could then try installing pieces like libc6, then sysvinit or
simpleinit bit by bit.

If you want to get an in-depth knowledge of how a GNU/Linux system
works, get an old a.out (libc4) + kernel 1.2.13 Slackware and manually
upgrade it to kernel 2.1.128 and full libc6.  *evil grin*  It'll be
2.2.5 at least by the time you've finished, and you'll be a Linux GURU.

If you want to fiddle, use chroot to install parts of Linux in a new
directory on your running Debian.  You still need to be careful, but
you can observe what you're doing from "outside".  Eventually you
could even have some of your virtual consoles in the chroot
environment.

"these are not inherent flaws in [NT] -- they don't happen by accident.
 They are the result of deliberate and well-thought-out efforts." - MS