Re: [Debian] max. swap size?

On Mon, Nov 16, 1998 at 06:18:04PM +0100, Nico De Ranter wrote:

> Howdy,
>
> I installed a PC with 128MB of RAM running Linux kernel 2.0.34
> I added the append="mem=128M" line to lilo.conf so the system
> realy sees 128M of RAM.  Since I normaly use the rule SWAP=MEM*2
> on SUN and SGI I created a swappartition of 256MB and did mkswap
> and... got only 130MB.  Why can't I use 256MB of swap?

1. Do you really need that much swap space? I have 48M RAM + 50 M
   swap and I never run out of memory (If I don't run extremely many
   apps at the same time), and if I occassionally need more memory,
   I set up a temporary swap file (It's a bit slower than a swap
   partition, but since I almost never need one, I can live with it)

2. If you feel that you really need that much swap, You need to set
   up at least two swap partitions since Linux has a limit of 128M
   per swap partition with a maximum of eight swap partitions.

HTH
+         Peter Granroth         +  Microsoft is NOT the answer  +
+ mailto:devnull@granroth.ml.org +   Microsoft is the question   +
+     http://granroth.ml.org     +       The answer is NO        +