Re: emacs -- (Not X) Hexl-mode C-M does not work

	 Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 15:19:11 -0500 (EST)
	 From: Chris Mayes <cmayes@adenine.frognet.net>
	 cc: debian-user@lists.debian.org

	 On Sun, 15 Nov 1998, Joseph Hartmann wrote:

	 > My "info" on emacs tells me after I do a M-x hexl-mode <enter>
	 > C-M-x should be the way to insert a character in hex.  Does C-M-x
	 > mean Control m (or Control M) followed by an "x" ?  Control-m or
	 > Control M gives me a Carriage Return, not a prefix to a further
	 > command.  This is emacs from the cheapbytes four-disk set of
	 > debian; the emacs is version 19.34

	 The M-x is "Meta-x" or escape-x.  In order to access the meta functions
	 you type escape (alt might work too, IIRC) and x.  There are a _ton_ of
	 meta functions on emacs.  I use M-x compile for my C++ stuff all the time.
	 For a hoot, try M-x font-lock-mode.  That will bring up syntax
	 highlighting for whatever mode you might be in, assuming that mode
	 supports syntax highlighting.  Although emacs can usually guess what mode
	 it should be in by the extension, sometimes you need to tell it
	 specifically(i.e. .template is not detected as c++).  To do this, type M-x
	 <whatever>-mode.  There's a tutorial in emacs that will walk you through
	 many of the major keybindings, btw.  I think it will appear automatically
	 if you bring up emacs with no arguments...  But I digress.  M-x is
	 escape-x.  Thank you.

									 -Chris

Thank you for your discussion.  I am familiar with the M-x
meaning, but it is the C-m-x where I am stuck.  As soon as I type
C-m I get the same result as if i hit the <enter> key.  Yet the
info on hexl mode indicates the command to edit "point" with a
hex value is C-m-x.

thanks for your input.

joeh