Re: Lilo.conf

On Sat, Nov 14, 1998 at 06:23:56PM -0600, Andrew Ivanov wrote:
> Hello all.
> I am trying to write my lilo.conf file, since when I was installing Linux,
> I decided not to use Lilo, and just boot it from a floppy.
> Right now I need to make use of Lilo, so here is my problem:
> I got 2 IDE HD's , C and D, hda and hdb respectively
>
> C contains win95
> D has a small 20M DOS partition, hdb1, and the rest,
> about 480M, is a linux partition, hdb2 and hdb4.
>
> I need to write lilo.conf so that I get a prompt of which OS I want to
> load, and make Linux a default one.
> I am currently going through all the documentation on the subject, but I
> still would like to get some help from those who have done it already.

Try this:

boot = /dev/hda
root = /dev/hdb2
install=/boot/boot.b
map=/boot/map
vga = normal
delay = 50
ramdisk = 0

read-only
default=linux

image = /boot/vmlinuz
  label = debian
  alias = linux
image = /boot/vmlinuz.backup
  label = backup
other = /dev/hda1
  label = win
  table = /dev/hda

This overwrites DOS's boot loader. The documentation (still) suggests to let
DOS load lilo, but I've never had a bit of problem.