Re: sound in new 2.1.x kernels

Shaleh <shaleh@livenet.net> writes:

> I have a Sound Blaster 16 ISA PNP card that works fine in 2.0.35 using isapnp
> tools and proper kernel config.  However I can not get it to work in the new
> 2.1.x series.  Would someone please point me to a reference or include clear
> instructions on how to get this working?

The sound module options have changed in 2.1.x kernels, the 8 bit DMA
channel and 16 bit DMA channel are now separate options. Read the
/usr/src/linux/Documentation/sound/soundblaster file to have the whole
syntax.

I can't give you an example, because i've compiled 'hard' the sound
support in the kernel, not as module (that's a solution, too...).

Here are the relevant lines of my /usr/src/linux/.config file for a
2.1.127 kernel and a SB 16 ISA PNP card (commented lines are skipped).

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=
# Sound
#
CONFIG_SOUND=y
CONFIG_SOUND_OSS=y
CONFIG_SOUND_SB=y
CONFIG_SB_BASE=220
CONFIG_SB_IRQ=5
CONFIG_SB_DMA=1
CONFIG_SB_DMA2=5
CONFIG_SB_MPU_BASE=330

CONFIG_SB_MPU_IRQ=-1
CONFIG_SOUND_ADLIB=y

Hope this helps,
Éric Jacoboni     « J'ai épuisé le tout-venant, je vais me risquer dans
                    le bizarre » (M. Audiard)