Re: First-time Linux setup - questions

At 10:26 PM 11/10/98 -0500, Ed Cogburn wrote:
>Jerry E. McGoveran wrote:
>> Ah Ha!  So, the usual package dependancies that apt takes care of
>> is not applicable to X?  (startx is not found on my system, and I never
>> ran any configuration utility for X and I loaded the olvwm package with
>> apt-get.)
>

>	More likely:  There has been a major change in the way X11 is packaged
>for Debian; this has introduced a few problems.  Go thru the x11 section
>in dselect and familiarize yourself with the new packages.  The
>'xserver-common' package has the startx command.

Tried to find xserver-common with dselect and with apt-get, but was unable
to locate it.  Loaded instead xserver-vga16.  Afterwards ran XF86Setup and
got this:

maui:/usr/X11R6/bin# export PATH=/sbin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin
maui:/usr/X11R6/bin# which XF86Setup
/usr/X11R6/bin/XF86Setup
maui:/usr/X11R6/bin# XF86Setup
Couldn't read card database file /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/Cards

What now?

Certus Consulting Group               | Specializing in Integrated Circuit
Antioch, CA 94509                     | Design and Verification, Logic
(925)757-0685                         | Synthesis, Fault Grading, and
<http://www.certus.com>               | Test Development