bizarre routing problem - default gw not getting set up properly!

Hi,

After a _disastrous_ upgrade from 1.3-2.0 (my Linux Actual CD had a
corrupted cd_autoup.sh *half way thru* leaving my system in an unusable
state -> reinstall [there were no decent documents on what to do by hand
should things go wrong/should one chose to do it by hand, and apt just
puked with some E: and W: thing errors....]), my routing is behaving
bizzarely.

I have a dual boot Deb/NT 4 WS conected to a pure deb box (I won't be
upgrading that in a hurry, as I haved twice broken systems using the
'easy upgrade method' debian provides...what I think of that
(particularly the documentation considering how long it took to get hamm
released...) is not relevant here).

Initially, when setting up my dual boot (which for now owns the modem),
I foolishly put my pure deb box as the gateway (it wil be eventually if
i can get diald up).  So i edited my /etc/init.d/network file to use
192.168.1.1 (dual boot) as the default instead of 192.168.1.2 (the pure
deb).

However, I can't get beyond my ISPs network (under deb - NT is fine
unfortunately) and just get 'no route to host' errors for anything
outside.

Here's /etc/inet.d/network:

#!      /bin/sh
ifconfig lo 127.0.0.1
route add -net 127.0.0.0
IPADDR=192.168.1.2
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=192.168.1.0
BROADCAST=192.168.1.255
GATEWAY=192.168.1.1
ifconfig eth0 ${IPADDR} netmask ${NETMASK} broadcast ${BROADCAST}
route add -net ${NETWORK}
route add default gw ${GATEWAY} metric 1

Here's netstat -r:

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags   MSS Window  irtt
Iface
localnet        *               255.255.255.0   U      1500 0          0
eth0
127.0.0.0       *               255.0.0.0       U      3584 0          0
lo
default         * 0.0.0.0         U     1500 0          0 eth0

The same after pon is as above but with:
<isp-provider>   *      255.255.255.255    UH  etc...

Is there another file I need to change? Why isn't default coming up with
UG instaed of just U?

The only thing my /var/log/ppp-log says of relevance (perhaps) is that
the default route of eth0 is not being changed from 0.0.0.0.

Help! I am stuck now with M$ stuff for internet use!

 Martin