Re: newbie diff question

On Mon, Nov 09, 1998 at 11:20:09PM +0200, Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 09, 1998 at 04:03:50PM -0500, Jeff Miller wrote:
>
> > is there an automatic way to update the applicable files based on
> > the diff content or do I have to apply the changes manually?
>
> patch < your.diff
>
> This may or may not work, depending on the type of the diff.  If you
> experience problems, refer to `man patch'.

patch -pX < your.diff

is very useful - X is the number of depth of directories to skip,

e.g. to apply a kernel patch (where files are refered to as
linux/filename.c), either:

  cd /usr/src/; patch -p0 < patch.diff

or

  cd /usr/src/linux; patch -p1 < patch.diff

Cheers

Adrian

email: adrian.bridgett@zetnet.co.uk, http://www.poboxes.com/adrian.bridgett
Windows NT - Unix in beta-testing.   PGP key available on public key servers
Avoid tiresome goat sacrifices  -=-  use Debian Linux http://www.debian.org